Header

Header

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Crazy Dog People

You know  those crazy dog people? The ones who are covered in pet fur and sporting bumper stickers like this on their car?

Yeah... I think I might be one of those people. What am I saying? I started  a  blog  for my dog. Of course I'm one of those  people.

It wasn't  the blog that clued me in though. It was the treats. Today I reached into my coat pocket  and  pulled out a baggie of treats. I wasn't  surprised, I'd just  forgotten  that  I hadn't taken them out after our walk. This has been happening  more and more lately.

I take my dog with in the car quite often because the excitement  of going new places is good for her. In the car is my "doggie diaper bag".  It contains a spare leash, her harness for when she gets overly excited and I don't want her to strangle herself, a ball, a frisbee, a bag of training treats (of course), a spare clicker, poop bags, and a collapsible bowl and water bottle. Oh and a pair of gloves. Those are for me.



The treats may be getting out of hand though. We have a jar in every room of the house. It started as one jar in the kitchen. It started as "you get a treat when you come in from going potty outside successfully." Then I discovered  the idea of clicker training and positive reinforcements. So I put a jar in the living room so we could work on training while watching TV. Hey, if you're laying on the couch the last thing you want to do when the dog sits on command is to jump up from your comfy position to walk into the kitchen for a treat. This doesn't  work because the moment you get up, the dog gets up and follows you. So now she thinks she's  getting  a  reward for following  you to the kitchen .  So there's  a  jar next to the computer, next to my reading chair, in the craft room as well as the original one in the kitchen and living room.



Yep, officially a crazy dog person. But she's  so darn cute!
And pardon me for saying  so, but my dog is really smart. She can do anything -as long as you have a treat. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment